Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Sam Visits the Vancouver Police Stables

My friend Darcy is a full-time police officer attached to the Vancouver Police Mounted Unit. They are based in Stanley Park and provide service throughout the 405 hectare  park as well as the adjoining beach areas. They also provide great community outreach, pose for photos, provide crowd control and are totally approachable for directions, a chat or for more serious issues.

Mom asked my brother Jetta to stay outside because he might bark and startle the 10 horses that the VPD have at the stables. Stay Jetta. Stay.


This is Richard, he's one of Darcy's colleagues and a fellow horse patrol officer. 
He has two Rhodesian Ridgebacks at home.


Let's go in the stable and check out the horses Richard. Interesting smells...


This is Richard's horse "Texi". I've never seen a horse before. 
Wow, he's really big and tall.


I better get myself a guide. This is Kristen, she works with the VPD horses.
She used to have an American Cocker Spaniel that looked like me.




This one looks pretty friendly.


Hi, my name's Sam. What's yours?


Wow, you're really tall.


Did you want to smell my head?


Sniffing is okay but no "tasting"...


Hi, my name's Sam.


I'm visiting. Hmmm...you smell different.


But it's a good smell.


Nice to meet you.




 This is Richard and Texi, ready to go out on patrol.


So did you want to race me? I'm pretty fast for my size.


Okay, maybe next time then. Officer Richard started calling me the "Saminator".


Hey Darcy, you'd better hurry up. I think that Texi and Richard are all ready to go.


Thanks for the tour Darcy, we'll see you Sunday night.


You look really impressive Darcy.


Thanks for the tour Darcy, Richard and Kristen.




13 comments:

  1. Oh wow Sam, what a lucky kid you are, to get to visit the mounted police 'behind the scenes'! It looks like they all loved you and why wouldn't they, looks like you were so nice to the horses. Thanks for sharing Sam :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!!! What an amazing treat! You got to meet all those beautiful horse and you were sooooo brave….they are huge and you went right up and introduced yourself! You're a star Sam
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    OMD that is such a special tour you had Sam!!! Very impressive outfit...and you are a very impressive dog. hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Sam! That was one fun adventure for you! Those horsies are huge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sam, these pictures are so adorable. Looks like you made a wonderful new friend. Thanks for the smiles

    ReplyDelete
  6. SAMMY.... OMD SAM... what an EXCITING tour and Meet and Greet and interview session THIS is... we are Thrilled that you allowed us to share it with you... You are VERY Brave to sniff and be SNIFFED by those Huge horses...
    The officers were SO nice to you. They do a very SPECIAL service, don't they? WE admire them fur what they do... and OH the Horses.. they are FABULOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have 2 horses that live across the road. Hailey is a bit scared. Phod wants to play. Lady took her 2 year old niece to see them and when they came to the fence Maggie said "too big" it made Lady laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a pawesome tour! I'm glad you got to meet some horsies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what an awesome visit - and you got nose to nose with the big guys

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! For a guy on wheelies, you sure get around!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I was a little girl my Grandfather used to take me to the Syracuse PD stables and I could pet the horses. Then one day when I was about 25 I was in the park with my dog when a mounted officer rode up and asked if I wanted to sit on his horse and he'd take my picture. He even let me wear his hat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol. Good day Saminator! Absolutely loved this post having been a lover of horses all my life and having deep respect for those who keep us safe:) GREAT pix of you Sam!
    Blessings, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you look like you had a fun time visiting the stables Sammy and meeting all the horses and humans. Great pictures of you visit.

    ReplyDelete