Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Tough Decisions

Here we all were - my dad's eating a later Sunday dinner and we're all lying around or chewing the heads off of a stuffie or two. My dad gets up after finishing three chicken thighs and heads downstairs to capture a thought or two that suddenly popped into his head.

While working downstairs my dad hears a chair being moved upstairs so he runs back up and yup, the three chicken bones are gone and Owen's licking his lips. My dad runs over to the trash can - empty!!! He looks at Owen and he's still licking his lips. My dad says some interesting words and calls mom. "Come home, we need to drive the kids to the emergency vet. Owen's eaten my chicken bones."

So mom comes home and we all get put into the truck for a drive out to the emergency vet. Thankfully it's a very quiet night and after some discussion, Owen gets x-rayed. There's a couple of inch long bones and fragments in his tummy. Dad's really worried but Owen seems fine.

So the vet says we could leave things the way they are and we can "just monitor Owen". In fact the vet says, if Owen were his dog, he'd just monitor Owen. The stomach acids would break down the bone but there's also the risk that it might not and bone fragments could puncture Owen's intestines as the material is heading for the exit doors.

The other alternative the doctor explains, is to give Owen an injection of hydrogen peroxide. this will cause Owen to get sick and vomit the contents of his stomach. Of course, (1) you may not get everything out of Owen's tummy and (2) also the danger is that we could damage his esophagus.

My dad thought that getting the material out was more important than to having to wait to see what would happen.

Owen is just fine and happy to be well again. Oh yes, because my dad couldn't tell if the chicken bones were shared with the shelties, they got x-rayed too, I stayed away in another room so I'm fine. After my dad got hit with a really large bill, he was just happy to have Owen back among the group.

What would you have done? Woofs


  1. We are soooooooooooo happy that you're okay, Owen! You're not supposed to eat cooked chicken bones, ya know! No more ever, okay?!

    Love ya lots♥
    Mitch and Molly

  2. Dogs stomachs can pretty much dissolve anything. We are glad Owen is okay.

  3. We are glad Owen is ok now!
    Sam, keep your eyes on him!

    Kaiser and Fusquinho

  4. SO happy to hear Owen is OK! That would be pretty frightening...Sam, you need to have a talk with your brother about what dogs should eat and what is garbage:)
    Glad it all turned out OK.

  5. Whew, that Owen sure is lucky he has such a good Daddy and Mama!! We are not sure what we would have done!


  6. Life with dogs! Glad all is well now.

  7. Darwin did that a few weeks ago! We contemplated taking her to the vet but after chatting with other Dane folks we decided just to monitor her and she was fine.
    Glad Owen is doing ok!

  8. Phew, we glad naughty Owen is OK, chicken bones can be so dangerous with the splinters.. Have a super Thank Giving.. Bone FREE..BOL xxooxxx

    Mollie and Alfie

  9. Howdy Mates, phew glad everything is ok. Owen, you cheeky rascal. Bet you won't try that again in a hurry! Not sure what mum would have done. She's a bit of a "let's wait and see what happens" kinda mum. Once mum "sprained" her ankle and after a few days when it hadn't stopped hurting, she had it x-rayed and she had chipped a piece of bone off haha. Well we thought it was funny anyway! No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

  10. OMD! We are so glad to hear every one is ok. Glad your mom and dad care so much and take such good care of all of you. Sam we are glad you didn't get any of them.

  11. Oh my!!! That is very scary!
    We probably would have done the same thing. In part because of what Katie went through a few years ago. She ate a 3' piece of very thin ribbon. But we didn't know it and by the time we got her to the ER vet, it was already in her intestine. Yup, emergency surgery. On a Sunday evening. It was really hard on her too...she almost didn't make it, the recovery was so difficult. So if we had had an option to just make her sick so that she could cough up the ribbon, we would have jumped at the chance. You just don't want to risk surgery.
    xo, Glogirly

    1. Hi Glogirly, thank you. My dad feels a 1000x better. It's tough to make a call like that late on a Sunday night as you well know. And without the benefit of your regular vet to confer with - so we're grateful that you understood our predicament and said that you'd do the same thing. Thank you again for sharing Katie's story.

    2. You are so very welcome, Sam!
      It's so hard to know what to do in an emergency when time is not on your side. We didn't have our regular vet either, but fortunately the ER vet was very compassionate but also straight to the point. I remember asking him what he'd do if it were his pet. I know they probably hate that...but I really wanted to know.

  12. Oh, what a stressful interlude for you guys! I think I would have done the same thing--waiting is terrible, and there's nothing quite so reassuring than a good, productive dog barf. I'm so glad everyone is OK.